J.K. Rowling’s chair – level 2
The chair on which J.K. Rowling wrote the “Harry Potter” series is going up for auction, and it comes with a letter from the author. The chair and the letter will cost you 65,000 dollars. Valuers, however, say that the high price is worth every penny because of the importance in a “Harry Potter” history.
There are not many things in the “Harry Potter” world that are so valuable because the books became very popular very fast. Publishers published them in large editions, so they are very common.
The author herself inscribed the sides of the chair. On the chair it says, “I wrote ‘Harry Potter’ ‘while sitting on the chair.”
Difficult words: valuer (a person who says how valuable/expensive something is), importance (being important), inscribe (to write on something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos