Jacinda Ardern resigns – level 3
Visibly emotional, New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced she was stepping down ahead of a general election for later this year.
The 42-year-old said she lacked the energy or inspiration to seek re-election, and so her term as prime minister would conclude by the 7th of February, 2023. She also said she was stepping down because others could do the job better.
In 2017, Ardern became the world’s youngest female leader when she led her Labor Party to power. During her stunning political career, she led the country through unprecedented crises, and she became a torch-bearer for liberal values across the world. She won international praise and admiration for her responses to the Christchurch mass shooting, the 2019 fatal volcanic eruption, and the control of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Arden’s announcement came as a huge surprise and no successor is apparent.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.