Jamaica’s first Olympic skier – level 3
Benjamin Alexander, former DJ and Jamaica’s first Olympic skier, is going to compete at the Beijing Winter Olympics, just six years after he started the sport.
Despite such short experience, the 38-year-old British-born athlete achieved the minimum qualifying standard this month, and Dudley Stokes is mentoring him.
Dudley Stokes is a former bobsledder whose team was in four Olympics between 1988 and 1998.
Alexander is ranked 4722nd in the world; however, he benefited from the International Olympic Committee that gave all nations a chance to reach the Games in each sport on lower qualifying standards. Alexander admits that he is nowhere near the same skills as very talented skiers; however, he is still much better than an average skier, and he says that the qualifying standards exist for a reason.
The athlete’s goal is to show other Jamaicans that even people who don’t start skiing at the age of two can qualify for the biggest sporting event in the world.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.