Japan Goes Whaling – level 1
In 1986, whaling is banned. People ban whaling because some types of whales are almost killed off.
Last year, Japan says people there are going to hunt whales again. Last Monday, they begin hunting. Five small ships go whaling. They are hunting three types of whales. Two of these are in danger. There are not many of them.
Japan says that whaling is its tradition. Japan whales from the 12th century. Also, Japan says that it hunts only 227 whales a year.
Difficult words: whaling (hunting whales), ban (make something illegal – say that people must not do it), hunt (catch and kill and animal for food).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos