Japan has a new island – level 1
Japan has a new island. The island is about 100 meters wide. It is in the Ogasawara island chain.
A volcano under the sea near Iwoto Island makes the island. The volcano erupts in October. Big eruptions start. These happen when magma meets water. Professor Fukashi Maeno sees the island. He is flying above the volcano. Smoke and ash go up during the eruptions.
Similar things happen in 2021. We do not know what will happen to the island. It may get bigger or go away. It sometimes happens that such islands go away. Wind and water help this process. Japan gains and loses islands sometimes.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the likelihood that this new island will continue to exist in the long term?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.