Japanese eat whale – level 1
Japanese men catch a whale. It is 30 feet long (9 metres). It is their 6th whale this season.
They take it to the land. They cut it into small pieces. Children watch. They are from two elementary schools. The children then eat the whale.
Some people are against whaling. Japan says that it is its tradition.
Difficult words: season (part of the year when an activity is done), whale (to catch whales), tradition (something typical done by people for a long time).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Should Japenese be allowed to whale?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.