Japanese eat whale – level 2
Japanese whalers caught their sixth whale this season. They carved the 30-foot-long (9 metres) whale was in front of children. The children were on a field trip. The whalers gave free samples of its meat.
The event takes place every year in a town south of Tokyo. Some people are against whaling, but Japan says that it is an important tradition.
Difficult words: carve (cut into pieces), sample (small amount of something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Should Japenese be allowed to whale?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos