Japanese Emperors – level 2
Japan’s Emperor Akihito formally abdicated last Tuesday, and he became the first Japanese emperor to step down in centuries. His son, Crown Prince Naruhito, took over as the country’s 126th emperor.
At the abdication ceremony, Akihito said that he was very lucky to be able to serve as the country’s emperor. He also wished his son’s era to be ‘a stable’ and good one.
Japanese Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe, attended the ceremony. President Donald Trump will be the first foreign leader to meet with Japan’s new emperor on May 25th.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.