Japanese golf champion – level 2
Hideki Matsuyama was born in 1992. His father introduced him to golf when Matsuyama was only four years old. Matsuyama was very talented, and he won many golf championships. He was not a professional golf player until 2013.
In March 2011, an earthquake and tsunami destroyed a big part of Japan, Matsuyama’s home. In the same year, Matsuyama had his first chance to play the Masters Tournament. He did not want to take part, but in the end, he decided that he would play. He wanted to make Japanese people happy again.
In April 2021, he made Japanese people even happier when he won the Masters for the first time. He became the first Japanese man and the first Asian man in history to win. He won only by one shot over Will Zalatoris from the US.
Difficult words: introduce (to show somebody something that he did not know before), championship (a competition to find the best player or team in a sport), professional (when you do something as a job).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.