Japanese golf champion – level 3
In March 2011, a devastating earthquake and tsunami in Japan killed thousands of people. and it destroyed much of Hideki Matsuyama´s home.
A month later, Matsuyama almost turned down his first chance to play the Masters for golf; however, he decided to play only because he thought it would lift spirits. A decade later, he lifted his country again, becoming Japan´s first-ever professional golfer to win a men´s major golf championship – the 2021 Masters Tournament. Matsuyama´s one-shot victory over Will Zalatoris at Augusta National, US, made him the Masters champion, and it was the biggest moment for the sport in his golf-crazed homeland.
29-year-old Matsuyama was introduced to golf by his father at the age of four. After winning several championships as an amateur, he turned professional in 2013.
Difficult words: lift spirits (to make somebody feel happier or more cheerful), one-shot victory (the situation when the winner is better only by one shot than the runner-up), amateur (a person who takes part in an activity for pleasure, not as a job).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.