Japanese people and alcohol – level 2
In Japan, drinking patterns are changing, and people are drinking much less alcohol than in the past.
The Japanese company Asahi Group recently opened a bar in Tokyo, and it offers cocktails with no or very little alcohol. During the pandemic, the popularity of non-alcoholic drinks grew in all the world. People couldn’t go to pubs and bars, so they looked after their health more.
In Japan, workers used to go to bars to drink after work, but this situation doesn’t happen so much anymore. Also, young people prefer to drink non-alcoholic beverages.
Companies must react to these changes, so they are offering many more non-alcoholic options than in the past. The Japanese government is looking for ways to make young people drink more alcohol, but the situation is difficult because alcoholic drinks are not very popular among them.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.