Japanese princess will get married – level 2
Japanese Princess Mako will marry Kei Komuro on October 26. Mako and her former college classmate were engaged in 2017, and the public was very interested in the couple.
Soon, the media wrote about Komuro’s mother and her debt. There were reports that she got 35,000 dollars from her fiancé, and she used some of the money to pay Komuro’s college. Komuro said that the money was a gift, but the scandal was very unpleasant for the royal family. The couple waited to have the wedding, and Komuro left to study in the US.
Last week, Komuro returned, and the couple announced the date of their wedding. After the wedding, Princess Mako will leave the royal family, which is a custom in Japan.
Difficult words: debt (money which a person must pay back to somebody), scandal (something what makes many people surprised and upset), custom (something what people usually do, and it is typical for the place or time in which they live).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos