Japanese Sumo Champion – level 2
A Japanese wrestler was crowned the grand champion of the country’s national sport. It was a historic day for Japan. For the last decade, the sport was dominated by wrestlers from Samoa, Hawaii and Mongolia. The last Japanese wrestler became champion of the sport in 1998.
The thirty-year-old wrestler won his first title at the New Year Grand Sumo Tournament in Tokyo. He had 14 wins and only 1 loss. During the ceremony, the wrestler said that he gladly accepts the title.
The wrestler said that he wants to become much stronger and work hard so that he can have good results. He received a traditional fish to mark the honor. He can celebrate, as he is a national hero now.
Difficult words: be crowned (get a title), decade (10 years), honor (something to show respect for some achievement).
You can watch the video news in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.