Japanese Sumo Champion – level 3
A Japanese wrestler was crowned the grand champion of the country’s national sport. It was a historic day for Japan since the sport has been dominated by wrestlers from Samoa, Hawaii and Mongolia for the last decade. The last Japanese wrestler became Champion of the sport in 1998.
The thirty-year-old wrestler won his first title at the New Year Grand Sumo Tournament in Tokyo with an impressive 14 wins and only 1 loss. He has become the 72nd yokozuna. During the ceremony, the wrestler explained that he humbly accepts and will work hard to be worthy of the title.
The wrestler said that he wants to become much stronger and work hard so that he can report good results. He was presented with a traditional fish to mark the honor. He can celebrate being a national treasure now.
Difficult words: decade (10 years), yokozuna (sumo’s highest rank), humbly (in a manner showing no signs of pride), be worthy of (have value).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.