Japanese volcano erupts – level 3
This footage filmed by a Japanese hiker shows the eruption of Mount Ontake on Saturday.
The hiker can be seen moving down the volcano in an attempt to outrun the huge plume of volcanic ash.
Terutoshi Kuroda said he was on the Outaki trail close to the summit at 2,800 metres above sea level, when, at about at 11:45 local time, he and his fellow hikers noticed a massive billowing ash cloud above them.
His footage has captured people trying and failing to outrun a massive dark cloud before they were forced to cover their mouths and take shelter, as ash and rocks rained upon them.
Kuroda says he and his companions made it safely to a lodge and off the mountain.
Twelve bodies have been recovered from the peak but at least 36 are feared to have died.
At least 69 people have been injured, 30 of them seriously.
Difficult words: footage (video), huge (very big), plume (cloud), billowing (growing), take shelter (to find a safe place), lodge (a small house), peak (top of a mountain).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.