Japanese whisky – level 1
Shizuoka Distillery is in Shizuoka City, Japan. The company makes whisky. They use cedar from a nearby forest.
Japanese whisky is becoming popular around the world. This year is 100 years of making whisky in Japan. There are more than 100 distilleries now, twice as many as ten years ago. Shizuoka’s cedar fire makes it special. Whisky making in Japan becomes famous after 2008. In 2015, there is not enough whisky for all people and companies who want it. This makes prices very high.
Big companies like Suntory and Nikka are expanding. There are new companies making whisky, too. Some people worry that this will be bad for the quality of Japanese whisky.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What potential challenges do new whisky companies face when entering the Japanese market?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.