Japanese whisky – level 2
Shizuoka Distillery is a leading independent whisky maker in Japan. They use cedar from nearby forests to meet the growing global demand for whisky.
This year marks 100 years of whisky-making in Japan. There are over 100 licensed distilleries, which is twice the number from ten years ago. Shizuoka’s special cedar fire sets it apart. The whisky industry in Japan boomed after 2008, and it became popular globally. The biggest whisky makers like Suntory and Nikka expanded to meet demand. New companies, including foreign investors, are entering the market.
Some people worry that the quality may go down as more players join and that it will damage Japan’s whisky reputation.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the potential consequences of the increased presence of foreign investors in the Japanese whisky market?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.