Japan’s former Prime Minister killed – level 3
On Friday, Japan’s former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe died after a man shot him while he was campaigning for a parliamentary election.
The 67-year-old Abe was Japan’s longest serving minister. He served two terms before he stepped down in 2020 because of health problems; however, he remained a dominant person in politics. On Friday morning, Abe was in the western city of Nara, giving a speech on a street, when suddenly, a man opened fire on him from behind with an apparently homemade gun. Police arrested the 41-year-old man, who later said he was dissatisfied with Abe, and he wanted to kill him. After a search, police found several other handmade guns at the suspect’s house.
People airlifted Abe to the hospital; however, he suffered two bullet wounds to his neck and heart, and he died a few hours later. The assassination shocked Japan, a country where political violence is rare, and guns are tightly controlled.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.