Jerusalem explosions – level 3
On Jerusalem’s outskirts, two bombs exploded at bus stops apparently in an attack by Palestinian militants.
According to health officials, at least one person died and several others were wounded. Police said that an explosive device was planted at a bus station near the city exit. The second explosion happened about 30 minutes later at a bus stop in an urban area in the east of the city. The explosive devices were hidden in bags and at least one of them contained nails.
The explosions follow months of tension in the occupied West Bank after the Israeli military launched a crackdown after a series of deadly attacks in Israel. Former prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu negotiated with allies to form a new right-wing government. One of his allies visited the scene and he demanded tough actions against militants.
Difficult words: outskirts (the edges of a city), crackdown (a strong official action by an authority to stop something), ally (a country or organization that officially helps or supports another one).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.