Jets land on highway – level 3
Two Lockheed Martin F-35A fighter jets have made history by landing on a motorway, as seen in Norwegian military footage.
This capability allows the jets to minimize their time on the ground during wartime, enhancing their survivability. The aircrafts that belong to the Royal Norwegian Air Forc, landed in Tervo, Finland, as part of a military exercise. After landing, they underwent hotpit refuelling where engines remained running. Major General Rolf Folland, chief of the Royal Norwegian Air Force, emphasized the importance of using small airfields and motorways to protect fighter jets from ground vulnerabilities in times of conflict.
Finland, which shares a long border with Russia and recently joined NATO, plans to purchase 64 F-35 fighter jets from Lockheed Martin.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What strategic advantages does hotpit refuelling provide for fighter jets during wartime?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.