Johnny Hallyday – level 2
Johnny Hallyday, who people called the French Elvis, died this week from lung cancer. He was 74 years old. Tens of thousands of people came out in Paris to bid farewell to him in a large funeral procession. French president Emmanuel Macron ordered this procession as he was a fan of Hallyday.
Hallyday’s career lasted 57 years and he sold over 110 million records worldwide. Some fans want a monument made for him to honour his work.
Difficult words: bid farewell (say goodbye), procession (a group of people or vehicles that move together), monument (a statue, building, or other object that is made for remembering someone).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos