Jordan Ends a Law – level 1
In Jordan, there is a law. This law says that rapists can marry their victims. When a rapist marries his victim, he is not punished for the rape. In three years, 159 rapists marry their victims.
Some people think that the law helps the victims. Other people do not like the law. They want the law to stop. One part of the Jordan government wants to stop the law.
However, the law is not yet stopped. People must wait. Another part of the government must want to stop it, too. Jordan’s king must want to stop it, as well.
Difficult words: rapist (a man who has a sex with a woman when the woman does not want it), victim (a raped woman), punish (go to prison for doing something bad), government (people who are the ‘bosses’ of a country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.