Jordan Ends a Law – level 2
In Jordan, there was a law that allowed rapists to marry their victims. This was a way to get out of punishment, and the government said that 159 rapists took advantage of the legal loophole from 2010 to 2013.
Some lawmakers said that victims needed the law to avoid social stigma, but politicians decided to stop the loopholes. Their decision, however, needs to be ratified by Jordan’s king and the upper house.
Difficult words: legal loophole (a way to get out of being in trouble without breaking a law), social stigma (when many people look down on you for something that happened), ratify (sign something to make it official), upper house (a part of the government).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.