Journalism and Protests – level 2
Russia is not a safe country for journalists, as people say that 58 reporters were killed there between 1992 and 2019.
Most recently, Ivan Golunov, an investigative reporter for the news site Meduza, was arrested on June 6. People knew him for exposing corruption in Moscow.
The police said that he had drugs which he was going to sell. He was facing up to 20 years in prison, but his supporters said that the police planted the drugs. The supporters also started demonstrating which pushed the police to let Golunov go and set him free of any trouble.
However, the demonstrations went on. The police arrested more than 500 people. The Kremlin was involved on Thursday and fired three police generals for their roles in opening a criminal case against Golunov.
Difficult words: expose (show), supporter (somebody who supports – likes and helps someone), plant (secretly put something to get a person in trouble).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos