Journalism and Protests – level 3
Russia is definitely not the safest country for journalists – people say that 58 reporters have been killed in the country since 1992.
Most recently, Ivan Golunov, an investigative reporter for the news site Meduza, was arrested on June 6. He was known for his exposés on local government corruption in Moscow.
The police said that he had drugs which he was going to sell, which could lead to up 20 years in prison, but his supporters said that the police planted the drugs. His arrest led to demonstrations which pushed Russian authorities to set the journalist free. However, the demonstrations continued until last Wednesday, ever after charges against Golunov were dropped.
Police responded to the demonstrations, arresting more than 500 people, which included a leading opposition politician. On Thursday, the Kremlin got involved and fired two police major generals in Moscow and the city’s drug control chief for their roles in opening a criminal case against Golunov.
Difficult words: exposé (a report which shows something bad), charge (officially saying that somebody did something illegal).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos