Julian Assange gets married in prison – level 1
Julian Assange is an editor and activist. He comes from Australia. He is 50 years old. Assange starts WikiLeaks in 2006. WikiLeaks is an organization that shares secret information.
In 2010, it shares information about the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. The US government is upset. It wants to take him to court. Now, Assange is in prison in London, UK. It is very difficult to bring Assange to the US.
Assange gets married last week. His wife is Stella Morris. She is a lawyer. Assange and Morris have two children. The wedding ceremony happens in prison. Only six people can be there. Morris is happy, but sad, too.
Difficult words: activist (a person who wants to change political or social situation, and he is very active in it), secret (something that nobody or only a few people know about), wedding ceremony (an event when two people get married).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.