Karate Kick – level 3
A pensioner stopped a jewellery thief in his way by karate kicking him to the ground. The 84-year old man noticed a shop assistant who was shouting after a man dressed in black. Then his instincts kicked in.
His efforts to stop the robbery were successful, but he also took a nasty fall himself. His wife immediately voiced her displeasure at the fact that he put himself in harm’s way. Luckily, he was found to be fine and the thief was quickly arrested by staff.
The only downside of his heroic act was that his wife did not speak to him for four hours.
Difficult words: kick in (start to work), nasty (unpleasant), harm’s way (a situation when you can be harmed), downside (the negative part of something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos