Kennedy´s murderer may be free – level 3
Sirhan Sirhan, the assassin of US Senator Robert F. Kennedy, was granted parole on Friday, after two of Kennedy´s sons spoke in favor of Sirhan´s release, and lawyers declined to argue that he should stay in jail.
The decision was a major victory for the 77-year-old man, who spent 53 years in prison; however, it doesn´t guarantee he is free. The ruling must be reviewed by the California Parole Board and then sent to the governor who will make the final decision.
Douglas Kennedy, who was a toddler when his father was gunned down in 1968, said he was moved to tears by Sirhan´s remorse, and he should be released if he´s not a threat to others.
Difficult words: assassin (a person who murders an important person for political or religious reasons), grant parole (to give freedom to a prisoner before the end of a sentence, on the promise of good behavior), remorse (a strong feeling of guilt and regret for doing something wrong).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.