Kenya and plastics – level 1
Kenya’s biggest landfill is called Dandora. It is in Nairobi. It is one of the biggest landfills in the world.
Dandora is full of throwaway plastics. People use most of these plastics only once. Then they throw it away. Kenya is trying hard to be cleaner. Kenya wants a strict global rule on plastics. Countries are talking about it now. In 2017, Kenya makes tough laws about plastic bags. People can go to jail or pay a lot of money if they use plastic bags.
Now, a new law says that companies must handle their products’ waste, not consumers. A Kenyan milk company changes its bottles to clear ones. It is easier to recycle these bottles. People like this change. It shows that Kenyans care more about this problem than before.
Difficult words: landfill (a place where people put things which they do not need anymore, and it looks like a mountain), waste (things which people and companies throw away), consumer (a person who buys things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are some other changes that Kenya has made to reduce the amount of plastic waste in its landfills?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.