Kenya and plastics – level 2
Kenya’s Dandora landfill in Nairobi is one of the world’s largest landfills. The site is full of single-use plastics, although the country is trying hard to be more eco-friendly.
Kenya wants a global deal on plastics, and delegates are meeting to discuss the first deal on plastic pollution. In 2017, Kenya implemented strict laws against plastic bags, with severe penalties for their use. The recent law makes producers responsible for plastic waste, rather than consumers.
A Kenyan dairy company responded to the new law by switching to clear PET milk bottles. Many people welcomed this because it became easier to recycle milk bottles. This shows that Kenyans are changing their mindset and they want to deal with the problem of plastic pollution.
Difficult words: single-use (a thing which people use only once and throw away), penalty (something you have to do or pay if you break a law or rule), mindset (a person’s way of thinking and opinions).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What efforts have been made by other countries to address plastic waste?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.