Kenya and plastics – level 3
Kenya’s Dandora is Nairobi’s main dumping ground and one of the world’s largest landfills. It’s filled with single-use plastics despite Kenya’s efforts to reduce its environmental impact.
The country advocates for a binding international agreement on plastics as delegates gather to discuss the first-ever treaty on plastic pollution. In 2017, Kenya imposed stringent laws against plastic bags, risking imprisonment or hefty fines.
The recent Waste Management law places responsibility on producers rather than consumers. Biof Foods, a Kenyan dairy company, adapted by replacing white PET milk bottles with clear ones, receiving positive feedback from recyclers. The shift in mindset, influenced by recent legislation, reflects a growing environmental consciousness among Kenyans.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What other ways have Kenyan companies adapted to reduce their plastic waste output?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.