Kenya avocados – level 3
Kenyan farmers have been switching from corn to avocado cultivation amid rise in global demand and changes in weather patterns.
Many small-scale farmers in Western Kenya have traditionally grown corn; however, they’re focusing on avocados now. Poor sales of corn and weather changes forced the farmers to seek other ways to make money. Avocados get better prices, better yields, and farmers can harvest them continuously for eight months of the year.
Kenya is now Africa’s biggest producer of avocados, as it sells about 80,000 metric tons annually. Cleaned and packed avocados are shipped to markets in Europe, mainly Spain and the Netherlands, the Middle East, and elsewhere in Africa.
Kenya has also started to sell in the Asian markets, and it became the first African country to export fresh avocados to China.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.