Kindergartens in Hong Kong – level 3
Getting into a good school can be stressful for both children and parents. It’s seen as so important in Hong Kong that children like Carlson Chuen here are training for their interview, despite only being 2.5 years old. Parents believe that getting a place in a good kindergarten will help them secure a spot in a good primary and secondary school and pave the way for a good start in life.
With the competition being so fierce, that kindergartens can be selective about who they let in. Half a year before kindergartens start assessing their young applicants, Hong Kong’s pre-kindergarten interview courses are busy preparing toddlers to ace the first interview of their lives.
“It’s quite expensive to raise a child in Hong Kong now. The pressure is immense. Everyone is competing against each other. I feel a lot of pressure.”
“The biggest value of this course is to take away the children’s fear – at least they won’t get scared. They won’t think going to an interview is like getting a death penalty. Instead of getting spooked, they will think it as a happy experience. It is like playing games. Some people may think they can do the same at home, but we have a professionally designed course. The course teaches you what you need to do in the exam.”
Difficult words: secure (to know something is certain), pave the way for (to prepare), fierce (great), assess (to say how good something is), toddler (a young child who is just beginning to walk), ace (to do very well), immense (great), spook (to scare).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos