King Charles III – level 2
On May 6, in a big ceremony, Charles was crowned king of the United Kingdom and 14 other countries. Charles is 74 years old and he succeeded his mother Queen Elizabeth who died last September.
The Archbishop of Canterbury, the spiritual leader of the Anglican Church, put the 360-year-old St Edward’s Crown on his head. Camilla, Charles’s second wife, was crowned queen. A military procession and gun salutes followed, and the king and queen waved to people from the balcony of Buckingham Palace.
Millions of people could watch the ceremony on TV. The monarchy wants to present itself as a modern and diverse institution. Its supporters say that it is important in diplomacy, but others ask if it is really necessary these days and how much it costs.
Difficult words: gun salute (firing guns at an official ceremony), diverse (including many different people or things), diplomacy (relationship between countries).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the main advantages of having a monarchy in this day and age?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos