Krampus at Christmas – level 2
Across central Europe, Christmas folklore includes Krampus, a demon that accompanies Saint Nicolas. Krampus puts bad children in a basket which he holds on his back.
Over 150 people dressed up as Krampus at a market square in Austria according to tradition. They scared people, and sometimes symbolically beat people. However, under the masks and costumes, these people are still friendly and they want to keep the tradition alive.
Austrians still argue over whether Krampus is appropriate for children or not.
Difficult words: folklore (stories that are told over a long time), accompany (go with), appropriate (OK).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos