Krampus at Christmas – level 3
Christmas folklore across central Europe from Bavaria to Croatia includes Krampus, a demon that is Saint Nicolas’ evil companion. Krampus punishes bad children by putting them in a woven wicker basket that he holds on his back.
Over 150 Krampus impersonators came to a market square in Hollabrun, Austria, to scare people as well as symbolically beat some of them, according to tradition. However, under the masks and costumes, the impersonators are actually friendly. One woman said that it is important to keep the tradition alive.
Austrians still debate over whether Krampus is appropriate for children or not.
Difficult words: folklore (stories that are traditionally told over a long time), companion (partner), impersonator (someone who pretends to be someone else).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos