La Palma disaster – level 3
Images of a single house left untouched by volcanic lava have become symbolic of the terrible impact of the natural disaster.
It happened on the Spanish island of La Palma, in the Canary Islands. Since the volcano began erupting on September 19, it has spewed thousands of tons of lava, destroyed hundreds of houses on the western side of the island, and forced the evacuation of nearly 6,000 people. The airport closed as the eruption of the Cumbre Vieja volcanic ridge intensified, and it entered its most explosive phase so far.
No deaths or injuries have been reported; however, the eruption is worrying banana farmers and grape owners in the area who fear that their business will be affected. Although authorities gave warnings to stay away from the magma and the volcano, visitors came to catch a glimpse of the eruption.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.