La Tomatina in Amsterdam – level 3
It was a protest that turned a little fruity—throwing tomatoes in protest against a Russian boycott of EU agriculture products.
“We organised this because of the Russian boycotts, our farmers they have a big problem because they cannot deliver their products anymore to Russia and we try to help them to collect enough money, because everybody that’s here, they pay 15 euros, so the money goes to the farmers that have the problem now.”
Around 2,000 people gathered at the main square in Amsterdam on September 14th to join a massive tomato fight in support of the Dutch vegetable growers.
The popular Spanish La Tomatina festival inspired a few young Dutch entrepreneurs to organise Amsterdam’s very own version of the tomato fight, drawing attention to the situation of Dutch tomato farmers affected by Russian sanctions.
The Netherlands is one of the world’s largest agricultural exporters of tomatoes, potatoes and cucumbers.
Difficult words: boycott (act of stopping commercial relations with a country as a punishment), agriculture (farmed plants), massive (big), entrepreneur (person who sets up a business), sanction (punishment).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.