La Tomatina – level 3
People from around the world pasted each other with tomatoes during Spain’s famous La Tomatina street tomato fight.
Last week, the festival happened in the town of Buñol which is a tomato-producing region. A two-year suspension delayed the festival because of the coronavirus pandemic, and this year’s festival had added incentives. It was the 75th anniversary and 20 years since Spain declared it as an international tourist attraction.
Up to 20,000 people were in the festival; a 1945 food fight between local children in the town inspired the event. People on trucks unloaded 130 tons of over-ripe tomatoes along the main street of the town for participants, who crammed below. Many people wore swimming goggles to protect their eyes, and after the hour-long battle, their clothes were covered in pulp, just like the whole area.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.