Lake is drained – level 1
Lake Texoma is in the USA. It is between Texas and Oklahoma. It is a man-made lake. It controls floods and makes electricity.
Something interesting happens on the lake. Something forms a vortex. The vortex is around 2.4 metres across. It is not dangerous to big boats.
Somebody films the vortex. It looks cool. The vortex makes the lake drain like a bathtub!
Difficult words: flood (big water), vortex (water which quickly moves in a circle), drain (to make water run out).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever seen a vortex in real life?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos