Lake is drained – level 2
Lake Texoma is one of the largest man-made lakes in the United States. It lies on the border between Texas and Oklahoma. People use it to control floods, control river flows and make power. Something interesting happened on the lake – something formed a vortex.
The vortex was approximately 2.4 metres across, so it could not suck in a full-sized boat.
Someone filmed the vortex and it looked pretty cool. The lake was being drained like a bathtub!
Difficult words: vortex (a mass of water that spins quickly and pulls things into its centre), approximately (around), drain (to make water run out).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever seen a vortex in real life?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos