Lake is drained – level 3
So what do you do when the water in your lake just gets a bit too high? Well, you drain it like a bathtub, obviously! That’s exactly what happened at Lake Texoma on the border between Texas and Oklahoma in early June after flooding caused the water level to rise.
This amazing video posted to social media was captured by Edward Johnson and shows the water draining out of the man-made lake much like it would from a bathtub. According to Johnson, the vortex formed as the water escaped, and was approximately 8 feet (2.4 metres) across, incapable of sucking in a full-sized boat.
Lake Texoma is one of the largest artificial lakes in the United States, and is used to control floods, generate hydroelectric power and regulate river flows.
And now, they can add “make awesome vortexes” to that list.
Difficult words: drain (to make water run out), vortex (a mass of water that spins quickly and pulls things into its centre), hydroelectric (electricity from water), regulate (to control), artificial (man-made).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos