Large landslide in China – level 3
A large landslide in a village in southwest China has been captured on camera.
It happened on Saturday afternoon and witnesses say four villagers were collecting herbs in the area at the time and were buried by the fallen mass of earth and rocks.
Rescuers rushed to the site to search for the victims and evacuate local residents, as large rocks continued to fall down the hill.
One victim was rescued around four hours after the landslide and was taken to a local hospital, where his or her condition was described as stable. But three other villagers remain missing.
The falling rocks and mud also blocked a 300 meter-long section of road in the village.
It’s thought the landslide was triggered by recent heavy rain in the area.
Difficult words: mass (a big amount of something), victim (somebody who is hurt in an accident), be triggered (be caused by something).
Who is stronger? Man or nature?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos