Lava in Hawaii – level 2
Lava is bursting out of Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano. A lava flow is moving up to 274 metres per hour.
The lava is destroying buildings and nearly 2,000 people had to evacuate. The lava is getting closer to an important highway, and more people may have to evacuate.
The volcano and lava are dangerous, but they can also be beautiful. The lava lit up the night sky and turned it red.
Difficult words: burst (let out with a lot of force), lava flow (a river of lava – very hot rocks which move a little like water), lit up (past of ‘light up’ – put light on).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos