Leader on Paternity Leave – level 1
A Japanese minister wants to go on paternity leave. Paternity leave is the time when a father can go away from work. He can spend time with his news baby.
In Japan, men and women can stay away from work for one year after the baby is born. However, not very many men go on paternity leave.
The Japanese minister wants to take two weeks off from his work. He is the first Japanese minister in history who wants this.
Some people are not happy about it. He is a political person. They say he must fulfill his duties.
This week, the minister says that it is not easy for him to solve this situation. He wants to stay at home with the baby. He still wants to help in important work events.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.