Lebanese Protests – level 1
Lebanon has economic problems. First, Lebanese people pay higher taxes. Then, the government wants to tax messaging websites and programs. People protest against this. The government stops the new tax.
However, people still protest. They want new leaders in the government. They want 30 leaders to leave their jobs. After that, four leaders leave their jobs.
The government meets to make economic changes. The president meets with some people who protest. Most people do not believe that the government is going to fix the problems.
Difficult words: economic (related to the economy which is all of the money in a country), tax (noun: extra money you pay for something to the government; verb: make people pay extra money to the government), protest (tell the government or other people you are unhappy about something and you want it to change).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.