Lebanon protests – level 1
Lebanon has big problems. In 2019, the Lebanese pound collapses. Banks have strict rules. People cannot take their money out.
Prices of fuel, food, and other things go up quickly. Many people become poor. They have very little money. Experts say that the situation in Lebanon is one of the worst in the world.
On Wednesday, people protest in Beirut. These people are mostly retired men. They work in the army in the past. They work hard for the country. Now, their pensions are low. They are poor. They cannot get their savings from the bank.
Difficult words: retired (someone who does not work anymore), pension (money which the government pays to people who do not work anymore), savings (the money which someone keeps, usually in a bank).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact will the ongoing protests have on Lebanon's current economic crisis?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos