Lee Kuan Yew died – level 2
Lee Kuan Yew ruled Singapore from 1959 to 1990. He transformed the small country from a poor British colony to one of the richest countries in the world.
Lee Kuan Yew died at the age of 91 on 23rd March. Tens of thousands of people lined the streets and watched his funeral procession. It rained heavily, but they did not mind it. They wanted to see Lee’s coffin and sing his name with others.
Many people were dressed in the mourning colours of black and white.
Difficult words: rule (to be the most powerful person of a country), funeral procession (a ceremony after the death of somebody important), mourning (worn during the mourning of somebody – being sad because of somebody’s death).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about Singapore?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos