Leopard in a well – level 3
A wild leopard has been rescued from the bottom of a well in a rural part of India.
Villagers and forest officials scrambled to the scene in the Indian Province of Gujarat to help get the animal out.
Local men involved in the effort said they heard noises from the well and on approaching the area, they discovered the leopard stuck inside.
The rescuers attempted to ensnare the leopard in a rope, but the animal growled and pounced fiercely when it was being caught. Eventually, the leopard was saved without sustaining any injuries. It was pulled out of the well and into a cage by a rope tightened around its tail. It’s believed the leopard has strayed into the village in search of prey and fell into the well during the night.
Difficult words: rural (far away from cities), scramble (move quickly), attempt (try), ensnare (catch an animal in a trap), growl (make a long deep angry sound), pounce (try to attack), fiercely (violently), eventually (in the end), stray (wander), prey (animal which is eaten by another animal).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.