Less food for Palestine – level 2
The World Food Programme (WFP) is low on money, so it has to make difficult choices to use its limited resources.
WFP will have to stop helping over 200,000 people in Palestine, which is 60% of its current beneficiaries, from June. Families in Gaza and the West Bank will be most affected. They have the highest poverty and food insecurity rates. The WFP offers poor Palestinians monthly vouchers worth 10.30 dollars per person and food baskets. But both programs will be affected.
Gaza has 2.3 million people, 45% of whom are without jobs, and 80% rely on help from other countries.
Difficult words: beneficiary (a person or group who gets help), poverty (when someone is very poor), food insecurity (when people don’t have enough food).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
How will the WFP ensure that the remaining 40% of Palestinians they are helping are able to receive enough help in light of limited resources?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos